Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Scituate “Green Death” soccer coach resigns

A girls soccer coach who told parents of his 6- and 7-year-old charges that he expected his players to “kick ass” has resigned.

Michael Kinahan says he “meant to give parents a chuckle” but that people took his message on a the team he dubbed “Green Death” the wrong way.

In an e-mail message to parents last week, Kinahan wrote that the girls on his team would “fall, get bumps, bruises and even bleed a little. Big deal, it’s good for them (but I do hope the other team is the one bleeding).

“The political correctness police are not welcome on my sidelines,” he added.

Kinahan resigned after parents protested to league officials. Other parents have said they support his approach, said Chris Park, the registrar for the Scituate Youth Soccer League.

“He’s got a wry, sarcastic sense of humor. I think this whole thing just blew up on him,” Park said.

This is exactly the reason we can't get parents to coach youth sports. Coaches willing to step up have the same want as most of the parents, who want their kids to get something out of the experience. They expect the children to learn something about life and struggle and expect the sport to build character. Then there are the other PC parents who have cobs up their butts and their children will become worthless and require the intervention of their mommies for the rest of their lives.
America’s youth is becoming fat, lazy and non-competitive because competition is viewed as “bad”. I argue that competition is good and is important to the evolution of our species and our survival in what has become an increasingly competitive global economy and dangerous world.
...
Lastly, we are all cognizant of the soft bigotry that expects women and especially little girls, to be dainty and submissive; I wholeheartedly reject such drivel. My overarching goal is develop ladies who are confident and fearless, who will stand up for their beliefs and challenge the status quo. Girls who will kick ass and take names on the field, off the field and throughout their lives. I want these girls to be winners in the game of life. Who’s with me?
Hear, hear coach!!
Grow a pair America. Our youth are our greatest treasure and we need to build them up and let them strive and struggle and live and learn. Making everything easy for them and protecting them all the time is making them weak.
This coach is awesome. And if I had received this email, I would have laughed heartily at his humor and all the while realized that he would have build some character in my child.

1 comment:

Fritz said...

I want that coach for my daughters soccer team...oh wait I have a coach like that for my daughters soccer team :) We are lucky enough to live in a small town where sports are viewed as a very good thing and not for the weak minded and that it's competition.
We need more coaches like this.