Friday, July 4, 2008
Wearing Sunscreen = Cancer...say what!?
Does your sunscreen work? An investigation of nearly 1,000 brand-name sunscreen products finds that 4 out of 5 contain chemicals that may pose health hazards or don't adequately protect skin from the sun's damaging rays. Some of the worst offenders are leading brands like Coppertone, Banana Boat, and Neutrogena.
More than a million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in the U.S. every year, but FDA still hasn't finalized sunscreen standards first announced 30 years ago. Meanwhile, companies are free to claim but not provide broad spectrum protection. Until FDA requires that all sunscreens be safe and effective, Environmental Working Group's comprehensive sunscreen guide—including a list of 143 products that offer very good sun protection—fills in the gaps.
Okay so, it's still important to wear sunscreen. Just make sure to check the ingredients in the sunscreen. What pisses me off is that in Europe they have some of the best sunscreen, it's not harmful for you in anyway shape or form, but it's not FDA approved...lame. So before you go out in the sun, check the list of safe sunscreens. Have a safe Holiday weekend.
Here is a list of safe sunscreens:
Recommended Common Brands
1. Blue Lizard anything without oxybenzone
2. California Baby anything with SPF 30+
3. CVS with zinc oxide
4. Jason Natural Cosmetics Sunbrellas Mineral Based Sunblock
5. Kiss My Face "Paraben Free" series
6. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock
7. Olay Defense Daily UV Moisturizer (with zinc)
8. SkinCeuticals Physical UV Defense
9. Solar Sense Clear Zinc for Face
10. Walgreens Zinc Oxide for Face, Nose, & Ears
To see more top brands please visit this site by clicking here!